Whether it’s a funny clip on Instagram, a video link in an e-mail or a video at a networking event, video content is the most effective way of capturing and engaging your audience. From higher rates of information retention to getting more information across in a short space of time, this article will explore the three main reasons why you should focus your efforts on video this year.
1. You can tell a story and communicate a message
Humans are visual beings. By combining powerful and high-quality images with premium sound, you can tell a story often better than you can with words alone. You only have to look at the rapid growth of YouTube (which is 2018 was attracting 1.8 billion users per month) to understand how video is capturing seismic audiences, and that people are more likely to turn to YouTube for their news or to learn about something new than they are to read about it.
It takes just seconds to evoke an emotional response through video and only a couple more to communicate a very simple story. This is incredibly important as the human attention span is shortening, in part due to the accessibility that the digital age offers.
As the English language idiom goes, “A picture is worth a thousand words,” so it’s no surprise that by the strategic use of imagery you can tell a story and communicate a message far quicker than you can with words.
2. You can enhance your marketing efforts
Content marketing is the future of marketing because consumers in today’s digital age are more knowledgeable about marketing tips and tricks, and so traditional sales techniques have a smaller success rate. Digital natives are also clever and won’t invest in your company for anything, so you must offer them an incentive in the form of value.
The value you can give them can be offered in multiple formats - blog posts, video, image, podcasting, eBooks, white papers, etc. - and can be either entertainment, knowledge, lessons or information for “free”.
The video is arguably the most successful form by which you can attract an audience and offer them value. It awards you the opportunity to be creative and think outside of the box, which will help in your endeavours to engage your audience, capture attention and stand out from your competitors. This is crucial when it comes to accelerating your marketing efforts.
What’s more, video content can be shared across multiple platforms. It can be embedded into your landing pages, can be posted on your social media channels (namely Instagram, Facebook and Twitter) and can be used in your EDM campaigns.
Videos are also easy for consumers to “like”, comment on and share, which will seriously widen your reach and increase your brand awareness and exposure (especially when the video description includes a CTA and a direct link to your website).
3. You can build your brand’s reputation and sell your services
With video content that is of premium quality, you can better sell your products and increase your brand’s reputation solely through social media, without having to rely on traditional advertising formats (i.e. TV advertisement).
When it comes to selling your business, the association is key. Even if you are not a video production company, if you can produce and share high-quality video content that is informative, well-research, creative, unique and eye-catching, you will position your brand as digitally savvy, contemporary and current, relevant, knowledgeable and trustworthy, and you will more likely stand out from your competitors. This is because the popularity of video is growing and growing, and online consumers have high standards.
On the other hand, producing poor quality video content will risk your brand looking amateurish, and unreliable, which will have a negative impact on how consumers perceive your products and services.
3 tips for creating successful video content:
1. Think of the video like a delivering a pitch. When mood boarding and planning a video, think of it like you would a powerful speech or presentation. Present your audience with a problem that they are facing, and offer them the solution they need (your product or service). Then, build that message into something visually appealing and eye-catching, and pair it with exciting sound effects and music.
2. Get the style right. Although your business doesn’t have to have any association with video production to administer high quality and exciting videos, the style of the videos you create must in in-line with your business industry and be appropriate for your audience demographic. For example, if your business is a clothing brand for 20-something females, you can play around with current trends and cultural references. Whereas, if your business is a law firm you would need to take a more corporate angle.
3. Enlist professional help. It is a great idea to capture video footage of any networking events your business holds, as experts that specialise in events video production can turn it into a movie that you can share proudly with your customers and use it to guide prospective customers down your sales funnel.
Harnessing video marketing is one of the best marketing moves your business can make this year. It can seriously boost your online presence, help you attract more customers and beat your competitors. And if you don’t have a skilled videographer or editor in-house, enlisting professional help is a great investment.
Start creating your video content strategy today and reap the rewards!